Catching Up With ’16 Austin Mack

austin mack

Who wouldn’t want a four-star wide receiver on their program? Currently, twenty programs have went out and offered Class of 2016 standout, Austin Mack. Mack, rated the 29th receiver out of his class, and the 2nd player out of Indiana (per 247Sports), has sparked his recruiting process a while ago. It was all the way back in June of 2013 when Mack received his first official scholarship, coming from Indiana University. He ended 2013 with just two offers, now in a completely different situation, holding twenty offers from programs across the country.

Standing 6’2 and weighing in at 205, and coming from Fort Wayne, Indiana (Bishop Luers), Mack had an impressive 2014 season, totaling 69 receptions for 1,062 yards and 15 touchdowns. Ultimately, this lead Bishop Luers to an 11-3 record to finish out their 2014 campaign.

Currently, per 247Sport’s Crystal Ball, there is an 82% chance for Ohio State, a 12% chance for Notre Dame, and a minimal 6% for Michigan. Ohio State’s offense would be a great fit for the Indiana standout. The Buckeye’s Class of 2016 is already filling up with offensive studs, such as running backs Kareem Walker, Demario McCall, and George Hill. As of today, the 2016 class has one wide receiver commitment, coming from Kierre Hawkins. Adding Mack to the class would be another top weapon for the dominant Ohio State offense.

Mack’s recruiting process has been very occupied, his last offer came from Alabama in the end of March. When asked about the process, Mack described how he has been enjoying it, even though it has been stressful. “The recruiting process has been really good. Recently, I have picked up some big time offers. Coming into my senior year where I want to make my decision before the season has taken up a lot of time with coaches, visits and what not. Also, it is pretty relieving that the process is done. A lot of people don’t realize how much stress and time it takes to be in this process. Overall, it is going real well.” he explained.

There is no official list this far in this process. Mack wants to keep everything even, mainly because he has not had the opportunity to visit every school that has offered him. He was planning on getting to Michigan state last weekend, but did not have the time. “I’d like to get to Michigan State and Tennessee sometime before the process is over.” said Mack.

There have been several visits to Ohio State throughout the process by Mack. Most recently, visiting April 11th for a spring practice, which was also Student Appreciation Day. “Overall, it was a great day. I got to witness 2,000 students come in and watch practice. Since some guys were injured, I was able to talk to them during practice. I talked to guys such as Mike Thomas, Devin Smith, and Dontre Wilson. It was inspirational to hear their stories and hear their wisdom.”

“I got to talk to a lot of coaches. Since I been there so many times it was not anything new. We talked about the chances of me playing early, how I would fit into the system and all that.”

Wide receiver’s coach Zach Smith has had a huge impact while recruiting Mack. They have grown very close and comfortable with each other, which started during Mack’s first visit to Ohio State back in September of 2014. “Our relationship is special. Our relationship is pretty fun and jokingly. It is pretty unique, he makes the process fun.” said Mack.

With the high powered Ohio State offense, it is known that the Buckeyes recruit top offensive players. Mack along with others believe he will fit into the Mike Thomas role if he decides to join the Buckeyes. “I see myself in the offense well. They want me to come in and play the role of Mike Thomas. With my frame, I am just like him, all I need to do is get a little bigger. To play that position and play outside and be on that one on one scenario a lot is definitely the best thing for me. Also, after I learn that position, they may move me around a little more, like Jalin Marshall.” said Mack.

“Knowing that in your class that you have a dynamic quarterback such as Tristian Wallace is definitely an eye changer. Knowing that you have great quarterbacks in the system that can produce is a big influence.”

To describe his type of play, Mack explained “My best aspect is routes. I am really trying to perfect my routes. I can get separation from the defender. I am physical and a big body receiver, allowing me to play big. I want to work on size to fit into my frame and gain muscle mass before playing at the collegiate level. I want to improve on my yards after catch. Just perfecting my craft, and keep getting better are my goals.”

Mack is set to commit on June 7th at the RAS Camp in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

You can follow him on twitter @Austin_Mack10.. Below are his highlights from his previous season.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: